Posted by San Luis Obispo Mom on Saturday, June 4, 2022 Under: Arroyo Grande
We went to the Mustang Waterpark at Lopez Lake in Arroyo Grande today! We had a wonderful experience. I actually prefer this Waterpark to the Ravine Waterpark. (See our Ravine Waterpark review here.)
The water park is smaller than Ravine Waterpark, the only other waterpark in SLO County, and that makes it less stressful for me as a mother of two little boys! There is a nice kids pool area with 3 kids' water slides. For bigger kids and adults, there are 3 water slides that you can enjoy. Best yet, all of these bigger waterslides can be ridden in tandem with your kid if they are big enough!
We rented a Cabana for $125 plus booking fees here at Mustang Waterpark. I think that is a good deal because it is reserved for you for the whole day and it comes with nice chairs, shade and a reserved area. There is also a server who checks up on your party at the cabana every hour so you never have to wait by the snack bar to order!
We knew this water park is located at a county park so you'll find campers and tents here as you drive your way towards the water park. We were expecting this so we were not surprised but if you're not used to the camping scenery, I've forewarned you that you will see these cool camping areas before you make your way to the parking lot across from the Waterpark. We're locals so we are not campers and just coming to the Waterpark for some summer fun.
Here are my tips for your Mustang Waterpark visit that I think you might find useful:
- Even though Mustang Waterpark opens at 10:30AM, you don't have to come right at 10:30AM as peak warm hours depending on the day could be right about noon. We came a bit after noon and stayed until it closed at 5PM. I think if we came really early, then we might be drained and not stay until the end. We had lunch before we arrived at the Arroyo Grande Village area. It's on the way there and only about 18 minutes from the Mustang Waterpark.
- Coolers and outside drinks (except water) and food are not allowed inside the waterpark but you can still keep it in your car and come out there when you want to enjoy your own snacks and beverages. Make sure you still have your wristband on to get back into the water park.
- Restrooms right outside the water park has a shorter line so if you really need to go as quickly as possible, put on your sandals, make sure your wristband is still for in and out privileges and go to the restroom outside the water park. There are restrooms inside the water park but for women, there's a line except for the last hour when we were there.
- We rented a cabana ahead of time and I highly recommend it! It was my son's birthday weekend and my sons were so impressed. They felt special. The cabana we reserved has seats for 6 but I see a lot of people having more than 6 hovering in and out of their cabanas and it's okay. As mentioned earlier, we arrived a little bit past noon and someone ushered us inside and gave us an option between that last two that were left. Even though we had booked the cabana a month ahead, you don't book for the exact cabana location. There was only Cabana #2 and #5 left when we arrived and we chose Cabana #5 as there was more privacy in that area. I was very happy with Cabana #5. From what I observed, Cabanas #1, #2 and #3 had the least privacy but they are closest to the entrance.
- Everything on the snack bar was so reasonably priced and I love that about Mustang Waterpark. We ordered drinks and snacks for 4 and the bill plus a 25% tip was under $50. That's amazing for 2022. I never had to go to the snack bar line because the server checked up with us every hour at the cabana. We ordered 1 hot dog, 1 pretzel, 1 dippin' dots, 1 snow cone and a few plastic cups of wine.
- Remember to leave your glasses in your bag and don't wear them as you go down any of the waterslides. My husband lost his as he was going down the water slide.
- Parking is $10 per car for entering the Lopez Lake park so make sure to account that to your budget. You will be passing a lot of farms along the way and won't see a gas station so gas or charge up ahead of time.
- Lay out your towels flat on your chairs while you are not using them. You will enjoy the warmth and dryness of those towels when you're ready to dry up. It is a wonderful comfort.
- You're not allowed to bring in your own tubes or water toys, etc. However, my sons brought their sun hats and used those to scoop up water to play with each other. I thought that was really creative of them.
Read about our experience at another water park in San Luis Obispo County called Ravine Waterpark in Paso Robles.
In : Arroyo Grande
Tags: mustang water park review mustang waterpark arroyo grande lopez lake san luis obispo