Posted by SanLuisObispoMom.com on Thursday, June 4, 2020 Under: Holidays
Doesn't it seem like there are more events around the area for Mother's Day than Father's Day? Here are some ideas on what to do around San Luis Obispo County that could help make it a more memorable Father's Day.
Go to a Special Event.
- There is one free concert in Grover Beach (part of San Luis Obispo County) that is for the public on June 18, 2023 (Father's Day). It is part of the Grover Beach Summer Concert Series at Ramona Park in Grover Beach on Sundays from 3PM - 6PM. It's free music entertainment but bring money to buy food and drinks. There will be food and drinks for sale. Bring a blanket or lawn chairs to sit on. Address: 993 Ramona Park, Grover Beach, CA 93433
One day before Father's Day, Paso Robles Children's Museum is having a Donuts With Dad Event. It'll take place on June 17, 2023 (Sat) from 10:30AM - 11:30AM. You can decorate your own donuts and enjoy with coffee or milk. Museum admission is required and RSVP is also required. To RSVP, call them at 805-238-7432. Address: 623 13th St., Paso Robles, CA 93446
- Avila Valley Barn - Open every day from 10AM - 6PM, Avila Valley Barn has a storefront that is considered a grocery store so they have remained open during the pandemic. You can feed the animals, walk around the farm and buy some local goods. Parking is always free so you can just stroll around without spending a buck, unless you want to buy some food for the goats. Address: 560 Avila Beach Drive San Luis Obispo, CA 93405
- Beach Day at Pismo Beach - There are many beautiful beaches here in San Luis Obispo County, including our most popular one, Pismo Beach. As a local, I still love coming to this beach because there are so many restaurants nearby. I love seeing visitors come here and enjoying my county. Some of the restaurants offer clam chowder, sandwiches and ethnic cuisines so the choices are plenty. Parking can be difficult but if you don't mind walking a few blocks away, it is very doable. If you prefer a much more relaxed beach vibe, I suggest visiting Cambria, which is located in the northern part of San Luis Obispo County.
- Monarch Butterfly Grove (Grover Beach to Pismo Beach) - Monarch Butterfly Grove is a state park so it's open year round and always a big tourist spot. I come here for the trails behind it and I suggest planning a longer walk to take advantage of its proximity. You can get to the ocean this way! It is such a beautiful walk through the trails but it's not very accessible for the disabled. However, the main Butterfly Grove area is spacious and allows room for those who need accessibility and strollers. You can also get to the Monarch Butterfly Grove from the Grover Beach side off of Grand Avenue using the Meadows Trail.
- Go to a Water Park - There are two water parks that are only open during the summer in San Luis Obispo County: one is in Paso Robles (Ravine Waterpark) and one in Arroyo Grande (Mustang Waterpark at Lopez Lake). The Ravine Waterpark is much bigger with a lot of wineries within a short drive. There's even a tasting room across the street from it. The Mustang Waterpark is smaller but it's located at a state park so if you have a camper/RV, this might make more sense to you. Since Father's Day always takes place on a Sunday in mid-June, you can expect the waterparks to be open on Father's Day every year. I get regular emails from Ravine Waterpark in Paso Robles and they sent me a recent email in June 2023 and noted that dads get into their waterpark for free on Father's Day (June 18, 2023) as long as there is a one admission ticket purchase or a season pass holder in your party. I've rented a cabana at both Ravine Waterpark and Mustang Waterpark before. See bullet points below for links to my personal reviews.
- Creek Walk Stroll in Downtown - Whenever we are in downtown San Luis Obispo, we try to walk through it via the creek walk that's adjacent to Higuera St. It's a very easy walk and it actually goes right under the Mission San Luis Obispo de Tolosa Church, a famous landmark, as well. This walk is so enjoyable to me and you can get to so many other businesses by going up and down the creek as an alternative route to the busy sidewalks. There are restaurants in Downtown San Luis Obispo with a view of the San Luis Obispo Obispo Creek. See a short video of my visit at Sidecar (adult bar) with a view of the creek below.
Take Him to a Winery or Wine Tasting Room. There are about 2 dozens wineries in Edna Valley (San Luis Obispo City proper) and hundreds of tasting rooms in Paso Robles, a wine country within San Luis Obispo County. So, the options are many! As a local, I've personally visited over 40 of them. See my top 10 favorite wineries/wine tasting rooms in San Luis Obispo County area and the pictures I took during my visits. Many tasting rooms have a unique vibe and scenery. Sometimes I like going to the wineries and tasting rooms just to check our their awesome architecture and fantastic views. See two video shorts from a couple of my wine tasting room visits below.
In : Holidays
Tags: father's day in pismo beach san luis obispo slo free things to do